The Roots Computing Group provides infrastructure and support for the computing needs of the Departments of Animal & Rangeland Sciences, Crop & Soil Science, Environmental & Molecular Toxicology, Fisheries & Wildlife, Food Science & Technology, and Horticulture as well as the Oregon State University Seed Laboratory. We are located in the Crops Building, Room 153.
This page details important information for new users. If you have any questions about your new account please contact us.
There are several ways you can get help.
Roots Support (8am - 5pm M - F):
- Crops Building, room 153
Zoom Meeting ID: 836 817 439
- Meeting Link: https://oregonstate.zoom.us/j/836817439
- Password: last seven (7) digits of our phone number.
- Telephone: 541-737-2443
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://support.roots.oregonstate.edu
- Self help guides on the FAQs page
OSU Helpdesk (8am - 7pm M - F; 3pm - 7pm Weekends)
- The OSU Computer Helpdesk is a free "quick help" service available to students, faculty & staff. They can provide initial troubleshooting expertise with problems related to internet tools, software applications, e-mail, and ONID accounts.
- Milne Computer Center, room 201
- Telephone: 541-737-8787
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web site: https://is.oregonstate.edu/service-desk
OSU Acceptable Use Policy
All Roots users are expected to comply with the University's acceptable use policy posted here. Failure to do so may result in account suspension or deletion.
Roots Computer Support Policy
Computer policy is your responsibility to know and is subject to change. Current policies are available here.
At the logon screen of a University computer press CTRL + ALT + DEL.
- User Name: email@example.com
- Password: your ONID password.
Changing Your Password
You can change your password anytime. Unless you have opted into Duo, you will have to change your password every year. Go to http://onid.oregonstate.edu and log in with your current ONID username and password. Select "change password" in the left hand menu then fill in your current password and your new password twice in the boxes available. Passwords must be at least 14 characters long and remember to utilize uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters. Passwords that are too simple or based on common dictionary words will be rejected and you'll have to try again.
We strongly recommend all users sign up for Duo, OSU's multi-factor authentication system. This system keeps you account secure by pairing your logins with something you know (your password), and something you have (a token generator or mobile device). When you attempt to access secure sites at OSU, you will be prompted to enter a code or approve a message from Duo before you can continue. As an incentive, the security team at OSU is waiving the annual password change requirement for all Duo enrollees. For more information, please see the Duo page.
We recommend using Eduroam as your wireless access point. Eduroam is a secure, worldwide network access service. It will be available to you at many other universities. Information about accessing Eduroam can be found here.
Your MS Exchange email address is: "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Most general use and lab computers have MS Outlook installed which will allow you to check your MS Exchange email account. You can also use other email clients as long as they're able to connect to MS Exchange accounts. Further instructions on how to configure MS Outlook can be found here.
Network File Space
Roots users have access to a few different network file shares depending on which department you reside in. These shares are automatically mapped when logging in to a University computer. If you need help with manually mapping a network drive you can follow the instructions on this FAQ page.
- U Drive -> This is your home directory i.e personal space that only you can access. This share has a quota of 15GB and is backed up nightly for a period of 60 days.
- S Drive -> This is the share directory. Each department has their own and it's used as a place to share files between users within and outside our supported departments.
- R Drive -> This is the research directory. It's used as a place for labs to share files between fellow lab users.
Many of the printers in the departments are available through our print servers. Please refer to this page for how to add printers.
Poster Printing and 3D Printing
Other Useful Links
OSU VPN Service: Program to access on-campus resources remotely.
OSU Wireless Access: Information on how to access the University's wireless network.
Client Services: OSU's central information services group.
Canvas: Access to OSU's Canvas system.
ONID: OSU computer account available to all students and employees.
Software Licenses: List of software available to staff/students.
Student Computing Services: Information about campus computing labs, library services, etc.
Remote Apps: Information about the Citrix remote application program, which allows users to remotely access many of the same programs found in OSU computer labs.
Dreamspark: Repository for discounted or free software.
Enhanced Classrooms: Classrooms with teleconferencing and multimedia support.
Kaltura: OSU's video delivery portal.
Zoom: Web collaboration tool.